Not Good For Hip Hop


5 pointz

The battle to save NYC graffiti mecca 5 Pointz looked like a lost cause ever since developers Jerry and David Wolkoff proposed to demolish the buildings to make way for a luxury housing project back in May. And last night, the iconic hip-hop site, sadly, met its demise as the owner had the walls painted over white. This comes just days after hundreds of supporters held a rally to prevent its demolition. Graffiti artists even attempted to use legal action to save the Long Island City landmark last month, but a 10-day restraining order was the best Judge Frederic Block could do.

R.I.P. 5 Pointz (1993 – 2013).

Check out photos and footage after the jump…

(more…)

kanye-west-seattle-yeezus-1

Not good news for fans anticipating their chance to witness Kanye West’s “Yeezus” tour. Due to an accident in Vancouver, resulting in a custom-made video truss and 60-foot circular LED screen getting damaged, the fall-trek with has been put on hold according to a statement released by Def Jam Records. The Vancouver, Denver, and Minneapolis dates have been postponed, with details on other stops to be announced shortly.

UPDATE: DONDA Creative Director Virgil Abloh confirms reports that surfaced on Monday revealing the two Chicago stops have also been postponed. “Stage still being repaired. New Chicago dates and pop-up shop will be announced soon,” tweeted Abloh. There is no current update on the Columbus, Ohio, show that is scheduled between the two Chicago stops.

Read the official statement about the tour delay below….

(more…)

jimmy-henchman

Former music executive James “Jimmy Henchman” Rosemond was sentenced to life in prison on Friday afternoon in Brooklyn Federal Court. The past hip-hop mogul was found guilty of running a multi-million dollar drug trafficking ring, laundering millions from drug proceeds through his Czar Entertainment management company. Serving as CEO of Czar Entertainment, Rosemond also orchestrated narcotics to be shipped in crates, hidden in various pieces of musical equipment.

“His image as a music impresario was a cover for the real Jimmy Rosemond, a thug in a suit,” says Brooklyn U.S. Attorney Loretta Lynch. “My resilience and determination will overcome all adversity and history will vindicate and be kinder to me,” Rosemand said in a statement to AllHipHop via his publicist. The 48-year-old previously managed artists such as The Game, Brandy, and Sean Kingston.

Previously: Jimmy Henchmen Arrested By Drug Enforcement Agents in Manhattan

Howard Homecoming weekend is the stuff of legend, and one of the biggest kick off events, the Yardfest music festival is one of the most anticipated. Everyone from Kanye West to Drake to 2Chainz have performed for the crowds of students, many of whom traveling from other HBCUs (Historic Black Colleges and Universities) to attend.
This year was a bit different because for the first time, Yardfest organizers instituted a $5 ticket charge. Seems like a bargain though for a lineup that includes Big Sean, Juicy J, Bone Thugs-n-Harmony, A$AP Ferg and Gyptian. No?

Well, apparently, the new charge and the new fence caused some dangerous disgruntled pushing and shoving at the entrance…Not to mention some defiant wall-climbing.
Local Washington D.C. news outlets report that at least 5 people went to the hospital with minor injuries, as well as 2 police officers. But after a brief delay, order was restored, and the concert was restarted.
In fact, Big Sean posted this photo from the stage:

Oh, but fear not, horndogs…the drama has not deterred some women from dressing for success.
See example photo…
And more video from the chaos.
After the jump
(more…)

rock the bells

It’s a sad day for Rock The Bells. Despite making two successful stops in L.A. and San Francisco earlier this month — the former where Eazy-E and Ol’ Dirty Bastard were resurrected in hologram form — the touring hip-hop festival has been forced to cancel its remaining two shows in Washington, D.C. and the New York area due to poor ticket sales. Wu-Tang Clan, J. Cole, Pusha T, Kid Cudi and Bone Thugs-N-Harmony were all on the bill for the respective Sept. 28-29 and Oct. 4-5 dates. According to XXL, Rock The Bells will take a $3 million loss from the cancellations, but will refund all tickets.

Related:
Finally! ASAP Rocky Meets Aesop Rock at Rock The Bells 2013
Eazy-E Is Resurrected at Rock The Bells 2013 Kickoff in Los Angeles
Ol’ Dirty Bastard Returns In Hologram Form at Rock the Bells 2013

dj-mister-cee

Today, amidst new allegations about his private life, legendary DJ Mister Cee went on air and announced he was resigning from Hot97 after 20 years of mixing and mentoring. Prior to his time at Hot97, Cee was Big Daddy Kane’s deejay and also gets credit for being instrumental in the discovery of The Notorious B.I.G. When Cee’s private life first became fodder for tabloids, one of the biggest stars to publicly voice their support was 50 Cent. Here is a clip of that exclusive 2011 interview.

During his final “Throwback at Noon” mix, he talked about his decision to leave:
“I have decided it’s time for me to move on, and take time to take care of myself because there are situations when I try to do the right thing, a setback happens. I am good, I am safe, I am happy, I am blessed… But in reality I knew this day would come where Mister Cee has to move on. The last thing you want to do is hurt the people that you love, and I love this station. I love hot97.”

Cee signed off by playing his favorite song, by his favorite group…”Shook Ones” by Mobb Deep. And thanked everyone who supported him at the station, saying that his time on the air was the most meaningful part of his life, besides his time as Kane’s deejay.

Listen to Mr. Cee’s final “Throwback at Noon” mix on Hot97.
Read Hot97′s official statement.
And see some of the reactions from Cee’s peers.

(more…)

mac miller

It was a scary moment at the Celebrity Theater in Phoenix on Friday night (August 9) as Mac Miller collapsed on stage mid-set. As we can see in the footage below, the rapper clearly feels ill and gags at the 1:28 mark, but carries on with his performance of “Watching Movies.” Then, just over 30 seconds later, Mac collapses to the ground. The lights dim as his team rushes over, but the 21-year-old MC amazingly gets back up and soldiers on with his set.

Mac nor his team have released a statement on the incident, but it’s worth pointing out that the show was the penultimate stop on his extensive, 40-date Space Migration Tour. We hope Mac’s doing ok.

Watch the footage after the jump…

(more…)

meek-mill-kidd-kidd-50-cent

Things got testy at the Mixshow Live Summit in Atlanta on Saturday night. 50 Cent, who was promoting his artist Kidd Kidd, was speaking on stage when he called on Meek Mill to join him. The Philly MMG rapper obliged and with his entourage joined the G-Unit general. Only problem was Queens rapper Trav, who had ties with G-Unit and rapper Lloyd Banks, was a part of Meek’s entourage last night. Tempers flared as 50 spotted Trav, at one point attempting to push him off stage. Cooler heads prevailed as Meek played peacemaker in the brush up.

The issues between 50 and Trav seems to stem from the latter going on a Twitter rant months back. Some of the tweets (which were deleted soon after) allegedly were directed at 50 Cent and Lloyd Banks’ relationship.

Check out the footage below…..

(more…)

OVO Fest

Bad news for OVO Fest goers. According to Pitchfork, the first day of Drake’s fourth annual Toronto festival has been cancelled due to Frank Ocean’s torn vocal cord, which he suffered on the opening night of his Australian tour last week. Frank was scheduled to headline the August 4 date alongside James Blake, who will now perform on August 5 instead. Drake, Wale and other “special guests” are also set to perform on the second day.

August 4 ticketholders will be offered refunds.

Related:
Drake Announces 4th Annual OVO Festival with Frank Ocean & James Blake
Frank Ocean Tears Vocal Chord On Opening Night Of Australian Tour
Drake Reveals October’s Very Own x Toronto Blue Jays x New Era Collaboration

frank-ocean-met-ball-2013
(Frank Ocean at the Met Ball, in New York City, June 2013)

Frank Ocean has cancelled the rest of his Australian mini-tour after making through just his opening night performance in Melbourne. The singer/songwriter has had a number of live show cancelations in the past few years, but this time around, doctors have advised him to rest his voice after finding a tear in his vocal chord.

According to Billboard, the concert promoter has released this statement:

“After last night’s concert… it was necessary to seek medical advice due to vocal issues Frank Ocean experienced during the show…It has subsequently been confirmed that Frank has suffered a small tear to one of his vocal cords and has received medical advice that he must rest his voice.”

During the performance, Frank reportedly told the crowd, “I’m sick…I don’t know if you care.” (well, of course the fans, who are in the audience of your show, care! That sounds just like a crotchety Korean grandma.)

Watch the footage of Frank’s Melbourne show…
After the jump.
(more…)

« Previous PageNext Page »