Sat 11 Feb 2012
After rumors of Whitney Houston’s death hit Twitter, our inboxes were flooded with all kinds of reports both denying and verifying claims. However, the AP has officially confirmed the legendary singer has died. Whitney’s publicist spoke to the outlet earlier this evening. Stay tuned for more details as no further information has been released on her death at this time.
Publicist Kristen Foster said Saturday that the singer had died, but the cause and the location of her death were unknown.
UPDATE: Whitney’s body was found at the Beverly Hills Hotel at 3:55pm PT. Paramedics could not revive her.
- CNN confirms Whitney’s bodyguard, named Ray, found her body. It was not Ray J as first reported.
- CNN also says Jennifer Hudson may perform Whitney tribute during Grammy Awards
- Simon Cowell says he had Whitney in mind for the next season of X-Factor.
- CNN says the Clive Davis party will be happening tonight. Info says invited guests have told her the same thing.
- Watch: Live Stream for Clive Davis’ Grammy Party
- Whitney’s last Film, Sparkle, will be released in August as planned.
- The LA Times says Whitney was spotted displaying erratic behavior before her death
- TMZ is reporting Whitney was found in her bathtub and may have overdosed from prescription pill mixed with alcohol
- Forbes Has a first hand account of the hotel scene where and when Whitney passed
- TMZ has confirmed that Coroner’s say Whitney died from a mix of prescription pills and alcohol
Mariah Carey tweeted: “Heartbroken and in tears over the shocking death of my friend, the incomparable Ms. Whitney Houston. My heartfelt condolences to Whitney’s family and to all her millions of fans throughout the world. She will never be forgotten as one of the greatest voices to ever grace the earth.”
Whitney was just spotted at Grammy rehearsals with Brandy and Monica…
She also performed “Yes, Jesus Loves Me” at a Grammy party 2 days ago…
Kelly Price spoke about hanging with Whitney a few nights prior…
Simon Cowell and Lionel Ritchie comments to CNN…
footage after the jump…
Simon Cowell told CNN: “People like that can’t be manufactured. They’ve either got it or they haven’t. I was only talking about her music to a friend of mine the other day. Her records don’t sound old fashioned now. They don’t sound like they were made 20, 30 years ago. They still sound incredible. She still sounds incredible and they’re gonna sound incredible in 50 or 100 years time. There’s something about a Whitney record. It wasn’t just the power of her voice. It was the way that she could sell a song, the way that she could sell a lyric. That’s part of the reason why she was so special and the whole diva thing came with that, because she was entitled to be a diva when she’s got that much talent.”
Lionel Richie told CNN: “I’m absolutely devastated. I always say this all the time. We are a business, unfortunately, of such great talent but also of great tragedy. And we see it happen so many times from the 60s, the 70s, the 80s, the 90s. We watch them come, we watch them go and you keep thinking, it can’t happen to this next generation. It’s not going to happen and sure enough here we go again. Michael was enough just to stop traffic with me. I couldn’t believe it. And then you see Whitney. I talked to her, how are you doing? Are you okay? And you keep hoping for the best but then when you get this kind of news, there’s really nothing but silence…. She had that voice. She had that voice that could just turn a story, a melody into just magical, magical notes.”