Fri 7 Sep 2012
Analyzing the 2012 MTV Video Music Awards: Chris Brown vs Drake, Rihanna vs Nicki Minaj, and Fashions!Posted by Miss Info under About Miss Info , Awards , Fashion , Good For Hip Hop , Hmmm? , Laugh At , Photos , Relationships and Family
(Awkward Moments: Drake in his fireworks sweater and Chris Brown with his Tropical Starburst dye-job avoid eye contact the entire night at the VMAs.)
As usual, the best part of the MTV Video Music Awards was picking apart all the celebrity style hits and misses. There were plenty of men in satin shirts and Mr. T chains (for example, 2Chainz, French Montana, Riff Raff and Tyga). There was Rita Ora’s unfortunate baggy beaded pantsuit. And Nicki Minaj‘s skintight see-thru Versace bodysuit.
But the two most popular style cues at this year’s awards were….
Odd Hairdos…and disapproving side-eyes!
Rihanna sported a new pixie cut, Chris Brown had day-glo blue ‘do, and Miley Cyrus had a ski ramp on her head.
But did Nicki Minaj really give Rihanna the cold shoulder in the front row?
Check out all the VMA fashions and awkward moments…
After the jump
1) And what was Lil Wayne listening to in his Beats by Dre headphones…while being completely antisocial at the awards? Well he answered that question by tweeting:
“Was bangin dat Future & Bob Marley in the lil tunechi Beats,btw.”
2) Was there tension between Rihanna and Nicki Minaj?:
Both girls were sitting in the front row, with just Katy Perry separating them. Nicki was also sitting by her bestie Scaff Beezy, and her boys Lil Wayne and Drake. But media outlets pointed out that there was some palpable iciness between the two 2012 VMA winners. And then former Real World castmember Trishelle C tweeted this from the seats nearby:
“Omg #VMAs inside scoop. Nicki Minaj just told Rhianna to “sit the f**k down” when she tried to hug her!!! Love it!!!”
Oh rilly? UPDATE: Well this seems unlikely…and as our reader MidoXO points out, why does everyone look so happy here?
4) Miley Cyrus and Pink both pay homage to babyjuice gel and Something About Mary
5) Here’s a gallery of red carpet outfits from Rita Ora, Rihanna, Chris Brown, Drake, Big Sean, Tyga, fun, Gabby Douglas and more…
6) Oh yes…we almost forgot. There were winners at this award ceremony. A complete afterthought. But at least the video of the year award was won by the video I actually think deserves it. For once. Rihanna and Calvin Harris’ “We Found Love” video, directed by Melina, was an incredible dark tragi-romance. Just a little more multi-layered than my second favorite, that fantastic Romain Gavras directed MIA “Bad Girls” video.
Here’s a full list of all the winners.
Rihanna’s “We Found Love” Video: Partying, Pills, Cigarettes, and Wild Passion
Alicia Keys & Nicki Minaj Perform “Girl on Fire” at the 2012 VMAs (Video)
2012 MTV Video Music Awards Performances: 2 Chainz, Lil’ Wayne, Frank Ocean, Pink
Rihanna & ASAP Rocky Kickoff the 2012 MTV Video Music Awards (Video)
Congrats Amber Rose and Wiz Khalifa! The VMA Red Carpet Baby Belly Strikes Again!